Getting your day started with a good breakfast is the way to make sure you get the best out of you and are able to do the things you need to. This delicious Chia seed porridge is just the ticket. It’s super healthy and tasty to boot.
We forget that in many cases breakfast can be between 10 – 12 hours after our last meal. Now if you are eating at 10pm at night that is not the best for your digestion, sleep or your waist line but that’s a whole other article. So essentially by breakfast time your body is ready for good quality fuel.
So skipping breakfast isn’t healthy, it’s a good way to damage your digestion, keep you sleepy and ensure the mid morning freak out due to low blood sugar. You know what I mean, the 10-11 cranky attacks. This inevitably creates the sugar binge cycle throughout the day complete with the emotional highs and lows.
So what are Chia seeds anyway. They are native to South America and the word Chia is Mayan for ‘strength’, get the point. They don’t call Chia a superfood for nothing.
Here’s the nerdy lowdown. Chia seeds are high in:
- Omega 3 Fats
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)
- Vitamin B2.
Blah blahblah so what does that mean? It means they are brilliant for reducing inflammation in the body. Inflammation is usually the aspect of every disease state that causes all of the problems. In most cases inflammation is there to help our bodies recover but our western diet means in most cases inflammation is way higher than it is meant to be hence the problems. Fats are vital for our body to absorb vitamins, create energy, protect our body and maintain our body temperature effectively. Protein is the building blocks without which our body would begin to fall apart more quickly. The rest are great for our metabolism (ability to create and use energy), our nervous system, cardiovascular system, blood cell production and immunity.
So enough waffle it’s time to give you the details of this awesome Chia seed porridge.
- Chia seeds 150g
- LSA – Linseed Sunflower and Almond meal 50g
- Shredded coconut 50g
- Almond milk
- Paw Paw
- Goji berries 30g
- Cranberries 20g
- 5 cups water
- Cinnamon or nutmeg
- You can add different fruits for variety but these are great for your immune system and digestion. Make sure you use low glycemic index fruits. You can find a list of these here
- And feel free to play with the quantities to suit your taste, my porridge is different every morning.
Note always remember the rule ‘fresh is best, organic is better’. If you can access organic food then it is far better for you. There are no nasty herbicides or pesticides used and the nutritional content tends to be higher than non-organic foods. You can read more here
- Mix water and Chia seeds together and leave overnight to soak.
- Chop up the paw paw into cubes.
- Put chia seed in a pot and pop on the stove. If the chia seed mixture is very thick add a little more water and stir while heating.
- Add all of the fruit and mix.
- Add the LSA and shredded coconut and mix
- Use the almond milk to create the required consistency. Add in small amounts and stir.
- Add Nutmeg or cinnamon to taste
So get out, get shopping and have this awesome super-food chia seed porridge for breakfast tomorrow and tell me you don’t have a better day
Yours in health